Monday, June 18, 2007

Acting with Singers

It's been four and a half years since I've done a musical. Before that, it was high school. In the meantime, though, I have done several straight plays.

And I've discovered the drawback to musicals.

I adore musicals. I always have. I love singing, dancing and acting, so what better than to do all three in one?

Unfortunately, not everybody shares my mindset. Acting is just that thing you have to do so you can get to the singing and dancing.

Okay, maybe that's a bit harsh. But the truth is that the majority of musical theatre performers in the area are singers (or dancers) first. I think of myself as a singer. I think I'm a darn good singer, too. But when it comes down to it, I consider myself an actor first and then a singer. I'm an actor who sings instead of a singer who acts.

I think that most of the performers in Urinetown are pretty competent in all three areas. But there are some who are good singers ... with little to no acting talent.

That's the great thing about plays. In plays, you're performing with other actors. In musicals, you're more likely to have to pull non-actors along with you through the scenes.

Another theatre company around here said that in auditions they would be looking for singing ability, dancing ability and acting potential.

Jana says the problem is that it's hard to find good actors. I think the problem is that they don't try to find good actors. They don't think acting is as important as singing or dancing. They cast the people with the best singing voices. And if the singers can't act, they muddle their way through. I don't know if they recognize or appreciate good acting.

That, I think, is another reason why I want to try for a professional acting career. I'd like to think that in a professional milieu, I'd be more likely to find myself among strong singers who are also strong actors.

No comments: