Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Auditioning practice

After the last show, I had sworn off auditioning for Lyric Theatre. In seven auditions, I had never even gotten offered a chorus/ensemble role (to the bafflement of more than just myself). I said I didn't want to waste my time on an unfair process.

My resolution didn't last long, and I auditioned tonight for their next show. And I feel good about it. I totally shifted my attitude. If I go into an audition wanting to be cast, I'm likely to be disappointed. If I go into an audition even wanting to be treated "fairly" or cast ahead of people who are less talented, I'm likely to have wasted my time. But what if my goal is to use them and take advantage of the audition? Maybe they'll never cast me. But if they're going to waste my time, I'm going to waste theirs. They're going to have to sit there and watch my audition.

More significantly, I decided to use the auditions as an opportunity to practice auditioning. I especially wanted to get more experience with learning choreography in a dance audition (as well as dealing with nerves while singing).

So I got exactly what I wanted. I did a good job. Maybe I'll even get cast. Probably I won't. But I got a nice opportunity to practice my auditioning.

The dancing was challenging for me, and I did mess up. But, boy, was it fun! I really do love dancing. I got a little bit of a workout, did a fun dance and worked on my auditioning skills. That's not a waste of time at all.

No comments: