Monday, May 21, 2007

First rehearsal

First rehearsal for Urinetown was Sunday. It's finally feeling real ... or starting to.

The cast seems nice, though I don't really know people yet. I'm quite gregarious once I know people, but that warming-up period is sometimes a little awkward. I'm thankful for Maria, whom I know vaguely from some other auditions, being so friendly.

We rehearsed the first song, which starts out easy — and becomes really difficult! I'll really need to practice the last 20 bars. It's been a while since I've been in a musical and learning a harmony, but it's something I've always enjoyed. I like the challenge. It's really good to be back!

I got singled out for praise at one point early in the rehearsal when I was the only person (or one of the only people) watching the music director as we sang. He said that if everybody just kept their eyes on their books, he didn't serve much purpose conducting at the front and felt like he was just having a weird spasm or something. Heehee!

I am eager to show how professional I am and how seriously I take the responsibility. Being in a musical is so much fun, but it is work, too. It's good, fun work, and I want to work hard. The stress and anxiety of auditioning is over. But I don't just care about the results of casting. I care that I have been cast. I care about doing well in this role.

No comments: