Monday, January 7, 2008

What I Want

One of the columnists on Backstage.com had a new year's column about pursuing what you really want from a career. Fame and fortune, a movie career and Academy Award are the stereotypical dream. And that's a dream that's not right for everyone. So, what do you really want?

Me? I want a career on the stage. I want to be in musicals and plays (both).

Sure, Broadway is the ultimate dream. But I just want to be a regularly working actor. I want to be in rehearsals during the day, not at night after my "real" job. I want to be in a tour or in regional theatres, summer stock or dinner theatre. I want to have as many opportunities as I can to work on my craft, to grow as an actor, to improve as a singer. I want to not feel guilty or like I'm an impostor if I call myself an actor. I want to surround myself with other talented people and learn from them.

I just want to be doing it. I want to be acting as a career. I don't care if I'm a gypsy. I don't care if I'm not a star and "only" in a small role. I just want to be acting and singing on stage professionally.

No comments: